Monday, June 15, 2015

Now we are old

We used to think money wasn't everything. That 300 rupees in your pocket made you a rich man.

Love made us laugh. "I'm not falling for that shit..I have places to go". The nerds, the geeks the behenjis and chappris, the cool ones and the cute ones. The loser ones and the quiet ones.

Such a world. With so much potential. Shiny new faces waiting to be told what to do. Yet they want to rebel..."What if we bunk biology..no one's going to know. Blacklists don't matter. You can do some jhol" Such energy. And as I write this post, with extreme nostalgia and sentimentalism (no such word exists), while it's raining outside; I realise that the journey from 16-26 has been so drastic. How time just ran like mad, while we dragged our feet behind.

Somewhere the shiny new faces became the new age wrinkled ones. Hair grayed due to stress. Chins doubled and stomachs got rounder. Speech became more confident, less hesitant.

It's not like I'm complaining. Everyone grows and I'm glad I was in college in the early 2000s. I'm glad I'm here now.

But, I'm just pining for the time gone by.

It's just that the rains makes me sentimental.

A time where friends were the extended family you would begin to start cherishing later on. And dreams flew quick as if on telephine lines. "I want to be a doctor, a merchant navy officer, an engineer, an IITian, a lawyer". I miss that time today, since I realize as always, that I could have done so much more, been so much more. Been cooler, better dressed (I was the proud owner of 3 tshirts in college, which I wore like uniforms throughout the week).

I would have kept in touch. Properly.

I know it's human to feel the need to improve upon your memories and wish you had done much more then,  "fuck! I could have experimented more and taken more risks". It's also human to say to yourself "yeah! But look at what all you have achieved. Look at where you are today!"

I don't know if I am making sense now. At all.

It's just that it's raining. And everything reminds me of a time way back when I feel things were simpler. The world was simpler. Dreams were in technicolor. We were young, skinny and careless.

It's raining. I love rains. But there's that tinge of sadness. For the time gone by.

But..I am not sad. Just the rains are here. And I feel old.


Hussain and me - With the mobile phone which played snakes and had that wonder of wonders - FM radio and polyphonic ringtones.

PS - I found myself writing this at 1.30 in the night after my friend sent me a picture of our college days. One of these days, I'm going to stand with a board outside a college which reads "You are not as fat as you think. Or as ugly. Or as dumb. Do what you want.Time is of essence. GO BUNK YOUR CLASSES NOW AND SIT BY THE SEA!!"



1 comments:

Kaushal Dhoker said...

Touché.
Looking forward to more of these posts.